What if you’re in a car accident with an uninsured driver.

Question: I was in a car wreck. My car is totaled and the hospital and doctor bills are piling up. It was the other drivers’ fault and he doesn’t have car insurance. What should I do?

Answer: If you are certain the other driver does not have insurance, the responsibility of this wreck now falls on you.  Read your insurance policy.  Do you have uninsured motorist coverage?  U.M. coverage is one of the most important coverages to have and you should have the maximum amount that your insurance company offers.  It is cheap and vital.  In your situation, if you have U.M., contact your agent and call an attorney.  You will have to make a claim against your own insurance to pay for the damage to your car and your medical bills.  Oftentimes it is helpful to have a lawyer representing you because they can be responsible for submitting all the proof and medical records to your insurance company on your behalf.

What happens in this case if neither driver has insurance?  Be prepared to pay all of your bills.

Then get insured.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,