Reporting an Accident

Complying with the Law After an Accident

Alabama requires you to file an SR-13 form with the Driver License Division of the Department of Public Safety after any accident you’re in that involves more than $250 in damage or results in a death or personal injury. The driver of the vehicle is required to file the form, even if the accident was someone else’s fault.

You must file the form within 30 days of the accident or your license could be suspended. Make sure you allow enough time for the forms to arrive in the Driver License Division office. Faxed forms are not accepted, because the division must have the original documents.

Submit the SR-13 form by mail to:

  • Driver License Division
  • Safety Responsibility Unit
  • P.O. Box 1471
  • Montgomery, AL 36102

Proof of Liability Insurance

Alabama requires vehicle owners to have liability insurance. If you have an accident, you need to supply proof of that insurance to the state.

When law enforcement handles the accident, they’ll take down all the insurance information at the time of the wreck. If you don’t have proof with you, or if law enforcement did not handle the accident, you will need to file form SR-21, Proof of Liability Insurance.

Mail the form to:

  • Driver License Division
  • Safety Responsibility Unit
  • P.O. Box 1471
  • Montgomery, AL 36102

No Court Action Statement

If you’ve had accident that caused your driver’s license to be suspended, you have not been sued, and no civil action related to the accident has been filed against you in the past two years, you may apply to have your license reinstated. Complete form SR-33 (No Court Action Statement) and submit it when you apply for reinstatement. You can reinstate a suspended license only at the following locations in Alabama:

  • Birmingham Driver License Office: 908 Bankhead Highway W.
  • Dothan Driver License Office: 5679 Montgomery Highway
  • Foley Driver License Office: 201 E. Section Ave., Baldwin County Satellite Courthouse
  • Huntsville Driver License Office: 1115-A Church St. N.W.
  • Jacksonville Driver License Office: 1703 Pelham Road S.
  • Mobile Driver License Office: 3400 Demetropolis Road
  • Montgomery Department of Public Safety Annex: 301 South Ripley St.
  • Opelika Driver License Office: 611 S. Railroad Ave.
  • Sheffield Driver License Office: 4500 Hatch Blvd.
  • Tuscaloosa Driver License Office: 2645 Skyland Blvd.

Released from Liability

If you’ve been in an accident and have paid all damages owed, you’ll need to complete form SR-58, which releases you from any further liability. Two witnesses to your signature, neither involved in the accident, must also sign the form; otherwise, you must have it notarized.

Conditional Release

You’ve had an accident that’s your fault, and you’ve made arrangements with the other party to make payments on damages. To protect you both, you’ll need to complete form SR-59 showing installment payment arrangements. Your signature on this form must also be either notarized or witnessed by two people who were not involved in the accident.